The Behavioral Health Administration, the University of Maryland Training Center, is pleased to bring Building the Basics: Trauma-Informed Care for Peer Recovery Specialist to you.
What is Building the Basics: Trauma-Informed Care for Peers?
This two-day introductory training for Peer Recovery Specialists will provide a foundation of trauma-informed care knowledge and skills needed to work with recovering individuals who are currently experiencing trauma or in the past.
This training will assist Peer Recovery Specialists to answer the following:
• How do I approach a person who may have experienced trauma and are unable to talk about it?
• What am I doing which is trauma-informed practice?
• What do I need to do differently?
Objectives of the Training:
• Define social, environmental, physical, emotional, and other factors which influence trauma
• Identify the impact of trauma-related to stress reactions and responses
• Define Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and explore the results of the ACE test
• Identify resiliency in relation to traumatic and toxic stressors
• Apply trauma-informed principles when engaging with Peers
• Address recovery principles and how to build a framework for the continued support
• Explain the concepts of vicarious and secondary trauma
As a result of this training, Peer Recovery Specialists will have the capability to use trauma-informed care principles to support their work with individuals. The overall framework of this training will help to strengthen the breadth of knowledge and skills supporting recovery for those individuals in need. After practicing these skills and with the confidence to move forward, a Peer Recovery Specialist may want to begin an advanced course in trauma-informed care.
When– March 14 & 15, 2023
Time– 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on both days. Zoom room will open at 8:30 am, training will promptly start at 9:00 am
Where– Zoom online
Trainers– Ruth Anne McCormick, Ph.D., RN, Training Consultant, and Jennifer Tuerke, Executive Director, Voices of Hope Cecil County
If you are unable to attend both days, you will not receive a certificate. Please be sure you can attend before you register. If you fail to cancel your registration or do not show, there will be a 90 day period where you will not be able to attend any free trainings through BHA/University of MD Training Center. All participants must be present with cameras on for the entirety of the training. This course must be taken on a computer or tablet, not a smart phone. You must have access to technology that provides camera and speakers. The zoom room will close at 9:15, no one will be allowed to enter after that time. Please plan to attend this course as if you were in person, that is, no working, driving or other activities during class time.
This training is approved by MABPCB, Maryland Addictions and Behavioral-health Professionals Certification Board, which is the peer credentialing board in Maryland. This training will provide 6 CEUs in the Recovery and Wellness domain.
You can register here – https://www.edgereg.net/er/Registration/StepRegInfo.jsp?ActivityID=41488&StepNumber=1